Growing up, I never really fancied anything that relates to beans. On the rare instances or occasion that I do eat them, it is either really well-made, or I am simply being polite to my elderly or relatives. Somehow, I always find myself doing the latter and crossing my fingers that I don’t gag whenever I am served with some beans. Needless to say, I have always thought beans just didn’t taste all that good. Which to be honest is quite a weird thing since I love eating, and can pretty much eat whatever –except for beans. Well … I was wrong.
I suppose the real issue here is that I just never had the chance to try out some really well-made beans. When I discovered beans in carnitas and some other Mexican cuisines, I was literally floored. That’s when I realized how good beans can be and how much I am missing out. Eventually I kept trying different types, and I am happy to share that it is a typical addition now to my dishes and home cooked meals.
In fact, for today’s recipe post I am sharing a delicious homemade Instant Pot Smoky Ham and Pinto Beans Soup! This will bring harmony to your palette. I promise you, it will be on the repeat menu once you’ve given this recipe a try.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 1 Hour
- 1 – 1lb package of pinto beans
- 6 slices of bacon
- 1 – 28 oz container vegetable broth
- 1 white onion; diced
- 2 jalapenos; diced
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Wash beans in a strainer. Drain.
2. Place beans, chopped bacon, diced onion, and jalapenos into the instant pot. Stir well.
3. Top with vegetable broth. Add in salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, onion salt, and cayenne pepper. Stir well.
4. Place the lid on the instant pot. Set to high pressure for 60 minutes – 1 hour. Set seal valve to close.
5. Once the instant pot stops counting release pressure. Serve with cornbread.
Instant Pot Smoky Ham and Pinto Beans Soup
How about you guys? Do you fancy beans too? Do any of you have any story to share regarding how much you love or dislike a certain food? I would love to know all your thoughts!