When it comes to getting your baby to sleep through the night, it’s one of the biggest struggles new parents face. If you’re one of those lucky parents who ended up with a baby that simply sleeps all night long from day one, then I’m sure there are many parents out there jealous of this fact. With most newborns it’s hard to get them to sleep through the night, whether they’re hungry or simply want the comfort of having their mom or dad near, sleepless nights tend to come with this stage of parenthood.
From personal experience, I struggled in different ways with our kids. Our son Josiah King tends to fight his naps, or bedtime ever since day one. He never liked swaddles and never learned to self-soothe. I suppose I didn’t try certain techniques and gave up to quickly. To date, he is still as energetic and can’t sleep through the night without waking up at least once. So now that we have our youngest Hezekiah Champ, I made sure to stay firm and kept my ground this time around. Eventually found what works for us … and now he is almost 6 months old and we are breezing through the night.
Trying to find different ways to get baby to sleep through the night is no easy feat, as everyone has their own tips and advice. On this post I’m going to share our personal favorite ways to help you and your baby get more sleep at night. I will also be sharing why the Philips Avent Soothie snuggle is the superior plush toy and pacifier in the market.
Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night
Keep Night Time Feedings Calm
Since your baby is probably waking to feed, it’s important that you make nighttime feedings calmer than the daytime feedings. During the day it’s important that your social and lively during feedings so that at night time your baby will understand there’s a difference. Night time feedings should happen in a dimly lit room and have little to no talking so your baby understands it’s sleepy time.
Create a Bedtime Routine
A calming bath or singing a lullaby before bed works wonders for your baby. You can read board books to a newborn, they hear your every word. Singing a lullaby before bed is another simple way to start using a bedtime routine to get your baby to fall asleep. This will help guide your baby towards a deeper sleep and in time they’ll start to associate this routine with bedtime.
- Relaxing Warm Bath Before Bed Time
- Story time / Reading Books Together
- Playing / Singing Lullabies
There’s nothing wrong with providing some level of comfort to your baby when they wake in the middle of the night. If you want to try to get your baby to sleep through the night, I highly advise you don’t pick them up or make the middle of the night wakings a chance for baby to get extra attention. You’ll want to provide comfort in a calm way without disturbing their sleeping position too much. For us, the best approach is giving our son his Philips Avent Soothie snuggle pacifier.
Security Object (Lovie)
Once your baby is 6 months old or so, you can start to give them a security object. This could be a special stuffed animal or some object that’s safe for their age and to have in their bed at bedtime. A security object will give your baby some comfort while they try to sleep through the night. This object could even help them snuggle themselves back to sleep if they wake mid-night.
This is another PLUS as to why we adore the Philips Avent Soothie snuggle pacifier. It comes with a lovie in the form of a Giraffe Soothie Snuggle or an Elephant Soothie Snuggle. Our son Champ loves both but tends to play with the giraffe more. Here he is now, and still just as in-love with his Soothie Snuggle ever since we introduced it to him.
Why is the Philips Avent Soothie snuggle pacifier our go-to for our little ones? Because it soothes while providing comfort, and most of all the Soothie snuggle is easy to clean as well as sanitize. Because the pacifier and toy easily detach, I can sanitize and clean the parts easily. As far as providing comfort, the removable plush toys allows baby’s first friend to grow with them over time.
How To Clean:
1. To start, detach the Soothie pacifier from the Snuggle
2. Sterilize the Soothie either in a Philips Avent Steam Sterilizer bag or in boiling water for 5 minutes.
3. After sterilizing, allow the Soothie to cool for at least 5 minutes and squeeze any trapped water out of the nipple.
4. Check the product before each use and replace the pacifiers immediately in case of damage or weakness.
5. Philips Avent recommends replacing your baby’s pacifier after four weeks of use.
6. You can wash the plush toy in a mesh laundry bag with your normal laundry cycle. Set it out to air dry.
7. Once you’ve cleaned both parts of the Soothie snuggle you can connect them back together and give the pacifier to your baby.
8. The plush toy is compatible with all Philips Avent Soothies and pacifiers which can be swapped out and replaced with age appropriate soothies/pacifiers as baby ages.
9. Philips Avent Soothies are designed for babies 0-3 months and 3+ month, and other Philips Avent pacifiers are designed for babies 0-6m, 6-18m and 18+ months.
10. Once your child outgrows pacifiers altogether, his or her snuggly friend can still stick around and conveniently attach to car seats, strollers, or backpacks.
If your baby still wakes up through the night try to wait a minute before you run into their room or to their crib side. Some babies will make noises in their sleep but aren’t actually waking up fully. If your baby is good at grumbling but then putting their self back to sleep without crying it out, then allow them that freedom to be independent at such a young age. While some parents swear by the crying it out method, at the end of the day getting your baby to sleep through the night is all about setting up a comfortable routine that works for you and your baby.